Friday, February 3, 2012

App Success Goes Beyond Looking at Downloads

by Holly Shoemaker

I have spent time discussing that a relevant app makes for a good mobile app. That premise has prompted me to take another look at the studies and data I have collected since I began blogging about apps. This time, I have analyzed a study from Localytics about what makes a “good” app.

The idea of a “good app” will clearly generate different responses depending on the type of app and the audience. For my purposes, I equate a good application with the ability to engage users and remain relevant.

Numbers at a Glance

  • The study found people will give an app a try. However, 26 percent of those surveyed only download that app once and never used it again. Of course I would not expect people to continue to use something they do not find engaging, relevant or useful.
  • Interestingly enough, if people found an app engaging, Localytics said 26 percent of people downloaded the app about 11 times.

Study Analysis

The study suggests people have a natural curiosity to download a new app and will continue to remain loyal if they like the app. This validates my previous thoughts regarding app loyalty, the importance of having a marketing strategy and finding the right place to store and categorize an app.

The study has some flaws. It did not rank categories of apps. It failed to mention apps that run in the background or pre-installed ones. I will discuss pre-installed apps in more detail in an upcoming blog.

Concluding Thoughts

Curiosity will get apps downloaded. That is good news for developers. However, that does not guarantee people have made good apps. The true test occurs after the first download. A download helps Apple and Google report numbers, but we must take a closer look at data to accurately analyze a user’s experience. In the end, developers must also spend time on their marketing strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment