Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dreidel Made Out of Clay: I Mean iPad

by Holly Shoemaker

Many people have likely heard the news that four Vancouver retailers have reported reselling iPad 2s made out of modeling clay. When I first came across headlines regarding this, I initially had the Dreidel Song playing in my head. Some may wonder what a spinning top associated with Hanukkah has to do with iPads. Well, the connection is the song contains the lyrics, “I made it out of clay.”

The situation has launched investigations. Those involved knew specific dimensions as the fakes weighed the same as the real iPad 2s. The scam artists even resealed the clay models with Apple’s original packing.

Concluding Thoughts

Those involved clearly partook in illegal behavior. However, I cannot understand why employees failed to inspect the iPads prior to accepting the returns, restocking them and then reselling fakes to customers. I understand they had the original Apple packaging, but I would think a store’s policy calls for opening a box and ensuring all the contents of a returned item are in that box. That simple step may have helped catch the people responsible.

From a customer perspective, I suppose people trust certain stores to sell them the product they think they are purchasing. I would look at the device before making this type of purchase – the slogan “buyer beware” comes to mind.

In terms of the dreidel, the song says, “And when it's dry and ready, then dreidel I shall play.” If I did not wait and examine the top to ensure it dried, I would not have the ability to play the Dreidel Game. As consumers, we may apply similar logic. Consumers have the ability to protect themselves, especially when buying a tablet in a retail store. Inspect your purchase to ensure you do not end up with lumps of clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment