Saturday, November 12, 2011

Can Apps Promote Meditation in a Sometimes Stressful Technology-Driven World?

by Holly Shoemaker

I would like to become more comfortable with meditating. I sometimes get caught up in my thoughts and while I try to control my breathing, especially during workouts, I find this aspect challenging. I even bought a meditation tape to assist me many years ago, but I never even opened that. I admire people who have told me how they have the ability to meditate to the point where they find themselves being able to separate themselves from their bodies.

Images hold a lot of power in our society. They may represent both positive and negative ones. During stressful times or when we need inspiration, having a focal point provides clarity. I view apps that promote meditation the same way. For those who need a starting point and want to approach meditation privately, they may find an app more appealing to gain some pointers before attending a meditation class. A long time ago I remember being in a Yoga class. At the end, people meditated. I kept thinking, “Everyone else seems to let their thoughts go, but I cannot.” Finding the right app could benefit me. I also think that apps could help professionals who teach meditation. They could also promote these apps to their students. People who do not have the resources to attend classes, or cannot make a session, would also benefit.

Concluding Thoughts

I see meditation apps as tools for individuals and even for doctors to reference when talking to patients. People have looked at meditation as an alternative or complement to traditional medicine. I have seen an inner-peace within people who have the ability to meditate. While technology certainly causes information overload at times, we can use the accessibility of mobile apps to help promote ways to help us de-stress too.

No comments:

Post a Comment