Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Should Insurance Companies Promote Medical Apps?

by Holly Shoemaker

I used to get notifications in the mail and phone calls from my health insurance provider asking me if I wanted to schedule meetings with nurses to discuss my overall health and wellness. I declined this service as I believe they wanted to discuss having asthma. Well, my asthma is well controlled and I only rely on a rescue inhaler when needed or prior to exercise involving cardio. I know my triggers so that is not a problem that I really spend much time thinking about. I felt the company tried to dig around for more information – it made me uncomfortable. I would also contact my allergist with any problems, not someone who does not know me.

As I reflect on that, I realize that perhaps insurance carriers will start recommending that patients track their medical progress via a mobile medical app. After all, insurance providers will engage in wellness policies or other practices as ways to help them reduce costs. Perhaps telling patients about certain medical apps could provide another way of doing so.

Concluding Thoughts

I do not think any insurance provider may mandate what apps people use for their own health purposes. That also brings up a host of privacy concerns. Patients have to sign consents allowing medical professionals to release any medical records. I cannot say for sure if carriers will endorse apps, but I do not negate the idea either. My concern would always remain for the privacy of patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment