Saturday, November 5, 2011

Interactive Medical Apps Could Provide Alternative to Dissection

by Holly Shoemaker

When I think back on my experiences in junior high, now called middle school, and high school, I always had strong opinions on the subjects I liked and disliked. I gravitated toward the subjects where you could write and argue your answers. As far as science, I have mixed feelings on that one. I liked some of the material, but I strongly disliked having to dissect things such as a sheep’s eyeball and a frog. Now, we have interactive programs that provide an alternative. When I take that thought a step further, we have teenagers with smartphones, some schools that place an emphasis on technology and mobile apps that could provide students with an app-based dissection experience.

Dissection brings up mixed feelings for some. Personally, if my convictions were as strong as they are now, I would have chosen to pass on dissection back then. Teachers are taught that they need to develop lesson plans that will reach all students. Students who have ethical dilemmas about dissection would have a greater chance of reaching the desired learning outcomes because they did not compromise their beliefs. They would also see that apps provide more than just games.

Concluding Thoughts

Students should have the option of using an app designed to simulate dissection if they morally oppose dissecting animals. Those students will still learn the same concepts. In an age where teachers should adapt curricula to fit the needs of all learners, the debate around dissection provides a good opportunity to see how interactive medical apps could provide a rich-learning experience. That would allow medical app developers more opportunities to bring interactive learning to younger students.

No comments:

Post a Comment